Other Governmental Bodies

Throughout the process of certification, there are many governmental organizations a producer may interact with. Below is an initial listing of state and federal departments, programs, and committees that may be of interest.

California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) State Organic Program (SOP)
1120 N Street, Sacramento, California, 95814. Telephone: (916) 445-2180
The State Organic Program enforces federal and state statutes regarding the production and marketing of fresh (not processed) organic products. The program is also responsible for organic regulatory enforcement and complaints regarding labeling and fraud claims. SOP acts as the appeals body for organic certification issues in California. Organic farms in California are required to register with CDFA. Enforcement activities are coordinated with the California Organic Products Advisory Committee (COPAC), USDA, and California County Agricultural Commissioners. This site also has an online registration page and guide for California organic producers.

California Department of Public Health (CDPH)
Organic processors and handlers in California are required to register with CDPH and can do so by visiting the website or calling the Food and Drug Branch Organic Product Registration Desk at (916) 650-6500. Formerly known as the Department of Health Services (DHS).

Department of Alcohol Beverage Control
Any person wishing to obtain an alcoholic beverage license in the California should apply at the nearest office of the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control. The mission of the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control is to administer the provisions of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act in a manner that fosters and protects the health, safety, welfare, and economic well-being of the people of the state. Visit this website for a listing of licenses, contact information, and frequently asked questions

National Organic Standards Board (NOSB)
Members of the organic community are appointed to advise the NOP and Secretary of Agriculture on compliance, accreditation, certification, and policy development in organic food and agriculture.

Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB)
Organic wine, beer, and spirits producers are required to register labels with the TTB after receiving CCOF approval. This website includes sample labels for organic products and guidance on how to register.