The Summer 2014 issue of Certified Organic magazine features our take on an organic road trip through Northern California. This time of year is perfect for enjoying the mild temperatures, beautiful natural scenery, and bountiful harvests that Northern California has to offer. With California leading the nation in organic production – more than 20 percent of U.S. organic farms call the Golden State home! – it is only natural that agritourism is growing at a rapid pace statewide. Through agritourism, travelers are exposed to the natural, cultural, historic, and environmental assets of the land and the people working on it. Read the full feature to learn more.
We couldn't fit everything into a single road trip itinerary, so for those who want to dig deeper into the Wine Country portion of the trip, here are some great places to check out in the Napa County area.
- Three Twins Ice Cream makes delicious organic ice cream and with milk and cream sourced from within 17 miles of their factory. With their focus on high quality and flavor, you’ll definitely want to visit their Scoop Shop at the Oxbow Public Market for a taste.
- Head over to the Lucero Olive Oil tasting room in Napa to try olive oil that is the result of three generations of farming. Their groves in Corning have some of the oldest olive trees in California!
- Wild Boar Farms has a goal to create the most amazing tomato varieties there are, and they host garden events in August every year.
- At Domaine Carneros Winery, you can enjoy table service on the terrace overlooking the vineyard, take a tour of the winery, or indulge in one of their specialty offering packages like “Yoga on the Plateau” during the summer months.
- Long Meadow Ranch Winery offers garden and vineyard tours daily and educational seminars on Saturdays, and the Farmstead at Long Meadow Ranch restaurant features an authentic farm-to-table dining experience.
- Wine isn’t the only thing to taste when you’re in Napa! Napa Smith Brewery creates handcrafted, award-winning beers, so take a tour of the brewery or enjoy flights and pints in their taproom.
There are a lot of other organic vineyards, wineries, and farms to visit in the Napa County area – use our searchable online directory to plan the rest of your trip.
To explore the organic offerings of the entire state, take a look at the Southern California organic road trip itinerary in the Spring 2010 issue of Certified Organic and combine the route with the Northern California trip!
View the complete list of addresses, hours, and contact information for road trip stops detailed in the magazine article and in this post.