Food safety by and for organic.
Want to produce safe, organic produce while still protecting the environment? Are your buyers requiring a Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) benchmarked food safety certification, or requesting third party audit reports prior to approving a sale? Do you need to get your organic farm in compliance for the coming Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) requirements? If so, we can help you get there. CCOF brings our certification expertise, service, integrity, and innovation to field-level food safety. CCOF’s GLOBALG.A.P. certification and assessments have multiple programs to meet the needs of different buyers. We anticipate the implementation of FSMA rules may require assessment and/or certification in order to sell product to retailers.
Talk to your buyers to determine which program you need!
Food Safety for Farms
- IFA: Integrated Farm Assurance – GFSI benchmarked certification. Top-level program. Important for exports. Includes food safety, traceability, environmental sustainability, and worker welfare.
- PSS: Produce Safety Standard – GFSI benchmarked certification, but includes ONLY food safety standards. Subset of IFA above. Great for producers selling to larger regional and national retailers.
- localg.a.p. North America – Assessment only; not a certification and not GFSI benchmarked. Simplified standard with basic/foundation and intermediate levels. A stepping stone to full IFA or PSS certification. Provides producers with a Letter of Conformance and aides in developing a solid food safety plan.
- HPSS: Harmonized Produce Safety Standard – GFSI benchmark pending. Incorporates United Fresh’s Harmonized Standards and will replace the PSS above once GFSI is achieved.
- Option 1 & 2 Multisite with Quality Management System (QMS) – Individual producer or group of individuals with multiple production locations who implement QMS to reduce the number of site inspections.
For more information about eligibility, program benefits, and requirements, review the CCOF GLOBALG.A.P. Certification Program Manual.
Start the application process today or contact us to explore your needs.
Food Safety for Processors
Through an arrangement with the Food Quality Alliance, CCOF-certified processors have access to a variety of food safety certifications at a discounted rate.
- British Retail Consortium (BRC) – GFSI-benchmarked certification. Globally recognized standard. Important for suppliers to major retailers, brand owners, and manufacturers, and is especially suited for companies exporting to Europe.
- Safe Quality Foods Program (SQF) – GFSI-benchmarked certification. Links primary production certification to food manufacturing, distribution, and agent/broker management certification. SQF is the only scheme to integrate a quality component as well as food safety.
The Food Quality Alliance is a consortium of food safety and quality service leaders working together to provide QA managers with a single source of over 40 testing, training, and certification services.
Learn more about the Food Quality Alliance and these certifications.
Food Safety Advocacy
Producing safe food is a priority for organic and conventional producers alike. To help our members stay acquainted with issues that may affect them, we monitor food safety laws and regulations, comment on them, and provide regular updates. Learn more about food safety regulations and our work in this area.