Description of Organization and General Function:
The Homeless Garden Project (HGP) is a nonprofit organization based in Santa Cruz, CA that provides job training, transitional employment and support services to people who are homeless. As an important complement to these programs, HGP operates a vibrant community volunteer and education program. The training, employment, education and volunteer programs take place in an organic farm and related enterprises.
Our grassroots program is funded through a mix of donations from individuals, grants, events and earned income. On average about 70-75% of our income came from donations, grants and events, the remainder from sales of products made in our training program. We are preparing for a time of growth and a new, permanent, consolidated site; our goal is to serve three times as many people each year and to increase the percentage of income brought in by our enterprises.
As HGP develops our enterprises, we are seeking a skilled, versatile, committed member of the team as Business and Finance Manager to manage HGP’s financial resources according to GAAP as well as play a key role in enterprise development through monitoring of a business plan. Our team cares about the natural environment and ending homelessness. We work in a simple environment and value the essentials.
Reports to: Executive Director
16 days of paid vacation per year, 9 holidays, pro-rated.
- Works with the Executive Director to manage the financial resources of HGP
- Maintains and analyzes accounting records
- Prepares accounting schedule, reports and financial statements
- Prepares journal entries and reconciles ledger accounts
- Assures compliance with accounting principles and policies, procedures and contracts
- Oversees payroll
- Supervises data entry staff
- Supports the ongoing development and improvement of financial processes and systems, coordinating with other business units such as the farm, retail business, and fundraising.
- Works with CPA to prepare annual return
- Manage HGP’s annual audit
- Works with Executive Director to maintain banking relationship
- Responsible for other duties as assigned in relation to financial management of HGP
Preparation and Knowledge Qualifications
- Demonstrable qualifications in accounting or bookkeeping or equivalent experience.
- Familiarity with QuickBooks Desktop
- Demonstrated experience in financial reporting
- Experience working with non-profit agencies and non-profit run businesses desirable but not essential.
- Ability to recognize problems and provide solutions.
- Effective communication and proven ability to supervise and develop the skills of others.
Applications: Email resume, cover letter and contact information for three references to Darrie Ganzhorn, Executive Director at email@example.com.
Resumes will be accepted until position is filled.