CCOF advances organic agriculture for a healthy world. We advocate on behalf of our members for organic policies, support the growth of organic through education and grants, and provide organic certification that is personal and accessible. CCOF is a nonprofit organization governed by the people who grow and make our food. Founded in California more than 40 years ago, our roots now span the breadth of North America, and our presence is internationally recognized. We are supported by an organic family of farmers, ranchers, processors, retailers, consumers, and policymakers. Together, we work to realize a future where organic is the norm.
CCOF Certification Services, LLC is seeking a Director of Certification Operations. The Director oversees CCOF’s Quality, Operations, and Food Safety departments and is responsible for the administration and compliance of CCOF’s suite of certifications. This position also implements new programs as determined by governance and the executive team. This is a senior management level position for a self-directed career-minded individual. Applicants must have extensive knowledge of organic certification, accreditation processes, personnel management, quality systems, business administration and the ability to work in a fast-paced office environment with demanding job responsibilities. This position supports the development of new initiatives, oversees the administration of certification programs and business systems, monitors organizational efficiency, and helps achieve and maintain necessary accreditations. The Director may supervise up to six Certification Managers and Supervisors, who, in turn may each manage up to 6 staff members. This is a full-time, exempt status position reporting to the Chief Certification Officer.
- Interact in various areas of CCOF governance including the CCOF CS LLC Management Committee and CCOF Inc Board of Directors as needed.
- Supports the CCO and Executive team in responding to issues as they arise, including the development and implementation of any special projects or initiatives.
- Supports CCO in annual budget and workplan development.
- Develop, implement, and monitor systems that drive and improve efficiency.
- Partners with other senior management within CCOF to ensure organizational success and achievement of strategic plan goals.
- Coordinate with Department Directors to ensure the organization delivers on service metrics and Quality Manual requirements.
- Oversee accreditation audits to ensure accreditation is achieved and/or maintained.
- Manage the Quality Team to ensure adverse action procedures are followed and CCOF complaints and investigations are tracked and brought to resolution.
- Supervise the Food Safety Program Manager, provide guidance on process decisions and program development.
- Provides oversight for training tools and systems and manages the Certification Training Manager.
- Supervise the Certification Operations Team, provide guidance on process decisions, and special project assignment and prioritization.
- Works with Director of Farm Programs, Director of Handler Certification, Director of Inspection Operations, and Certification Services Manager to develop, implement and execute consistent certification processes, procedures, and systems.
- Coordinate with the Director of Inspection Operations to ensure inspection processes consider reviewer and administrative impact and vice versa.
- Provides project management, guidance and implementation for improvement initiatives.
- Monitors staff engagement and develops systems to increase staff morale.
- Supports development and implementation of systems that work effectively both for on and off-site employees.
- Ensures that Quality, Operations and Food Safety department workloads are completed within timeliness guidelines and organizational performance indicators.
- Works directly with other areas of the CCOF organization on cross-organizational projects, needs and systems.
- Serves as a member of the CCOF LLC Certification Directors Team and CCOF cross organizational Management Team.
- May support or oversee discrete new business initiatives, services, or programs as directed by the CCO.
- May represent the organization at trade shows, conferences, meetings, etc. as directed by the CCO.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- B.A. or B.S. degree or higher in a relevant field OR commensurate and relevant work experience will be considered in lieu of degree requirement.
- Two or more years of supervisory and management experience
- At least five years’ experience in organic certification and/or other third-party auditing programs.
- At least three years of experience in a professional office environment.
- Demonstrated experience managing projects, and programs.
- Comfort using a computer for multiple hours at a time.
- Competency in word processing, formatting, databases, and email using applications including Microsoft Teams, Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Excellent professional communication skills in person, on the phone, and in writing.
- Excellent skills to organize, monitor, and track numerous activities with competing deadlines throughout the year.
- Ability to travel throughout the year, represent CCOF at tradeshows and industry events, etc.
- Ability to logically solve problems and autonomously under pressure.
- Ability to work with various groups of people and demographics.
- Ability to manage and meet deadlines. • Ability to multi-task in a busy environment with a high workload.
- Strong attention to detail.
CCOF takes pride in offering competitive pay and excellent benefits. The Director of Certification Operation’s starting compensation will depend on qualifications and experience.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Interested applicants, please submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Certification Operations” in the subject line:
- Cover letter summarizing your interest in CCOF and the position, and qualifications
- Current resume
- List of three professional reference
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
No phone calls, please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your interest!
CCOF is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people with diverse backgrounds and experience to apply.