CCOF advances organic agriculture for a healthy world. We advocate on behalf of our members for organic policies, support the growth of organic through education and grants, and provide organic certification that is personal and accessible.
CCOF is a nonprofit organization governed by the people who grow and make our food. Founded in California more than 40 years ago, today our roots span the breadth of North America and our presence is internationally recognized. We are supported by an organic family of farmers, ranchers, processors, retailers, consumers, and policymakers. Together, we work to realize a future where organic is the norm.
Position Summary: CCOF Certification Services, LLC (CCOF) is seeking a Handler Investigations Specialist. The Investigations Specialist is a Senior Certification Specialist who reviews complaints, investigations, and sample results in addition to performing the Senior Certification Specialist role. This person focuses attention on providing consistent decisions for complaints and investigations.
This is a full-time, exempt status position. This position does not include on-site inspections of certified organic operations and will not include field work in the future.
• Reports to the designated department supervisor.
• Develops investigation plans and ensures consistent application of NOP regulations and Handbook.
• Executes investigation and sampling plans in collaboration with the Inspection Operations Team.
• Works independently and consults with the Investigations Team as needed.
• Effectively manages an ongoing and dynamic workload of complaints, investigations, and positive sample results.
• Reviews inspection reports, sampling results and investigation results in a timely manner.
• Completes and sends complaint reports to SOP and NOP and issues resolution notices to nongovernmental complainants.
• Makes nuanced decisions and recommends compliance outcomes based on analysis of compliance information.
• Assists in the development of investigation tools and resources, e.g. action item templates, work instructions, and Intact Platform Text templates.
• This position may require occasional travel to the CCOF Office for in-person meetings. There may also be occasional opportunities to represent CCOF at trade shows, meetings, and conferences, depending on interest and availability to travel.
Senior Certification Specialist Responsibilities:
• Provides technical services to certified organic clients, including reviewing and communicating with certified operations about mid-year updates, such as new labels, input materials, suppliers, products, parcels, etc.
• Communicates with CCOF clients to provide written and verbal instructions regarding compliance to all applicable standards.
• Reviews new applications, mid-year updates, and/or inspection reports to ensure timely review.
• Works daily with a complex, proprietary database to perform the regular tasks of the job.
• Ensures that database records are consistent and current.
• Ensures that the CCOF quality system is implemented.
• Works on special projects as required.
Required Skills, Education and Experience:
• Senior Certification Specialist or equivalent experience (3-5 years reviewing organic inspection reports).
• B.A. or B.S. degree or higher in applicable field OR commensurate and relevant work experience will be considered in lieu of degree requirement.
• Experience in organic certification company, preferably in the area of organic compliance.
• Understanding of organic certification standards.
• One or more years’ experience in a professional office environment.
• Computer competency in word processing, formatting, databases, and email. Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
• Comfort using a computer for multiple hours at a time.
• Excellent communication skills in writing, on the phone, and in person.
• Excellent spelling, grammar, and sentence structure.
• Ability to organize, monitor, and track numerous activities with competing deadlines.
• Ability to work with various groups and demographics of people.
• Ability to multi-task in a busy environment with a high workload.
• Ability to logically and autonomously solve problems under pressure.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Ability to track and report on many high-pressure compliance cases simultaneously.
• Ability to work well with management to achieve desired outcomes.
Compensation: CCOF takes pride in offering competitive pay and excellent benefits. The Handler Investigations Specialist’s starting compensation will depend on qualifications and experience.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Interested applicants, please submit the following documents to email@example.com, with “Handler Investigations Specialist” in the subject line:
• Cover letter summarizing your interest in CCOF and the position, and qualifications
• Current resume
• List of three professional references
Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.
CCOF is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people with diverse backgrounds and experience to apply.