Graphic Design Specialist – San Francisco/Modesto/Sacramento
Salary Range: $55,000-$65,000 per year
Experience Level: Intermediate (1-2 years)
Job Type: Non-Exempt, full Time with benefits
Start Date: June 1, 2023
To Apply: Please send your cover letter, resume, and 3-4 examples of design work to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Graphic Design Specialist” in the subject line. We will not be able to consider any applications without these requested documents.
Sustainable Conservation (a leading non-profit in its field) advances the collaborative stewardship of California’s land, air, and water for the benefit of nature and people. Every day, we bring together businesses, landowners, and government in some of the most productive yet economically disadvantaged parts of California, to steward the resources on which we all depend in ways that are just and make economic sense. Please visit www.suscon.org to learn more about our work.
Sustainable Conservation is committed to addressing policies and practices that have historically prioritized economic benefits to some at the ecological, health, and/or economic expense of others. We engage with diverse entities like businesses, non-profits, agricultural communities, government, etc. to partner with us in co-creating solutions to catalyze more substantial improvements in areas of California where the stakes are highest for getting it right. Centering diversity, equity, and inclusion in our mission and vision is the fullest expression of how we aim to support California. Only by weaving these values through everything we do – both within individual programs and the organization, both in the field and at the office – can we help shape a California where all can truly thrive.
This newly created position within the Development and Communications team will be reporting to the Creative and Communications Director. The Design Specialist will join a seasoned, results-oriented, driven but fun-loving and tightly knit 8-person Development and Communications team. This strong team is responsible for raising $5 million each year to fund our efforts at program level and lead the organization’s external outreach, content strategy, and visual brand. This cohesive team works in a creative and flexible environment and supports each other on a day-to-day basis. We work to create unique career paths for individuals based on their experience and interests, and organizational needs.
Under the guidance of the Creative and Communications Director, this role will be responsible for visual collateral that serves fundraising, educational, outreach and program goals across all communication channels. A strong design aesthetic, keen commitment to visual branding, and out-of-the-box thinking will be useful to be successful in this role.
Location: This position will primarily work out of our San Francisco office but will collaborate with Modesto and Sacramento teams as well. Our teams work in a hybrid work environment with an option to work remotely a few days a week. Periodic travel throughout the state will be required.
- Design print and digital collateral on varying timelines, including but not limited to website and social media visuals, promotional materials for events and webinars, newsletters, microsites, technical reports, presentations, and stationery
- Create and update templates, including for presentations and MailChimp, and educate staff on how to use them
- Format and organize documents, including for Board meeting preparations
- Create a system for visual asset management - gather, categorize, tag, and manage archive of photographs, illustrations, maps, logos, etc. for use by Development-Communications and program team members
- Create color palettes and creative briefs for fundraising campaign collateral, webinar series promotions, and other materials
- Adhere to and update organizational style guide as needed
- Liaise with printer, mailhouse, and other vendors to carry out communication and appeal mailings
- In partnership with the Development and Communications team, create and implement an annual collateral inventory for timely program- and donor-specific collateral content and design refreshes
- Partner collaboratively with the Science Communicator(s) and communications team members on new visual storytelling/new ways to aggregate and communicate data
- Other tasks and projects as assigned
Experience and Skills Required
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud (including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator) to weave organization’s visual brand through all digital content
- Strong knowledge of PowerPoint and other presentation design platforms
- Strong knowledge of printing and mailhouse terminology to coordinate jobs with external vendors
- Great listening skills to translate communication ideas into beautiful infographics, effective reports, eye-catching presentations, etc.
- Strong interpersonal skills including ability to follow up appropriately
- Ability to collaborate across teams, audience expertise levels, and communication styles
- Must have some project management skills such as scheduling, handling team calendars, understanding and help managing cross-team projects
- Ability to effectively manage multiple overlapping deadlines
- Keen desire to learn about the organization and its work
- Curious, self-starter, sense of humor
- Experience with HTML and CSS
- Experience with AfterEffects
- Experience with Microsoft Office/Zoom/SharePoint/OneDrive
What we offer: A competitive compensation package based on experience, fully paid health insurance benefits, generous match on 401k, FSA, EAP, vacation, floating days, sick leave, plus the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day as holiday leave. Our greatest benefit is our culture. Our staff is collaborative, dedicated, and caring. We believe in articulating and practicing our values (Collaboration, Respect, Results, Honesty, Learning, Well-Being) at work and have a strong commitment to bringing a DEI lens to our work and workplace culture. We encourage, prioritize and support professional development and career growth within the organization and pride ourselves in working with our team members to advance their careers in line with the organizational mission.
At Sustainable Conservation we value culture and diversity and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage qualified individuals from all backgrounds to apply to our job openings.