Job Description Position: Soil Program Manager
Status: Part-Time, Contract-to-Hire
Reports to: Aaron Tartakovsky, Co-founder and CEO
Position Type: Part-Time 15-20 hours/week to start. Contract 3-6 months
Compensation: $25 - $40/ Hr, Commensurate with experience
About Epic Cleantec Epic Cleantec ("Epic") is a water reuse technology firm based in San Francisco, CA. The company deploys onsite water treatment and reuse systems into individual buildings or groups of buildings, converting building wastewater into treated water for non-potable applications, natural soil amendments, and recovered wastewater heat energy. Born out of initial work with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation's "Reinvent the Toilet Challenge," Epic is now trusted by leading players in real estate including Crescent Heights, Westbank Corporation, and Related California. The company has been featured in The New York Times, FastCompany, Inc. Magazine, NBC Bay Area, TechCrunch, among others, and was most recently named a Fast Company 2021 World-Changing Ideas Award honoree in two categories — Urban Design and Spaces, Places, and Cities.
Position Overview: Epic seeks an experienced and creative individual to lead the development of a new soil program in San Francisco. The Soil Program Manager will spearhead the continued development and operation of the soil program to repurpose organic solids for beneficial use as a high quality soil amendment. The candidate must have a background understanding of soil science and circular economy systems. The Soil Program Manager will develop the pilot program to transform solid waste outputs from Epic’s wastewater treatment technology into high-quality soil products. The Soil Program Manager will develop the program in-house and seek strategic soil processing partners as the program scales. The position is responsible for managing the partnership opportunities for soil production, operations, and sales.
Responsibilities include developing and managing policies and procedures for the soil program to ensure optimal production quality and efficient operations. Additional responsibilities include collaborating with the marketing team on projects related to soil product development. The Soil Program Manager will excel at iterative, dynamic strategy development and will successfully collaborate and execute in partnership with Epic’s leadership team and strategic partners. The Program Manager will oversee the daily operations and execution of the soil program and be responsible for overseeing the budget, ensuring fiscal transparency and accountability.
Essential Duties, Capabilities and Responsibilities: The Soil Program Manager will work closely with Epic staff and partners to create strong organizational systems and scalable soil solutions in service of Epic’s vision and goals.
- Conduct a feasibility study to determine the inputs, capacity, production scale, market and financial projections for soil operations
- Define the soil program based on the feasibility study results
- Develop efficient and scalable production systems for soil products Identifying key partnerships and resource needs
- Collaborate with key leaders to deliver on the program’s goals
- Serve as spokesperson and chief advocate for soil operations
- Oversee all operational activities to ensure safety, product quality and operational optimization
- Support functions to track progress and maximize efficiency, productivity and the long-term sustainability of the soil program
- Bridge operational activities and priorities between Epic and partners
- Oversee the development, design, implementation, and execution of soil production
- Identify and evaluate of opportunities for improvement and implement plans for improvement
- Facilitate negotiations of contracts and agreements with contractors and partners
- Ensure adherence to and compliance with quality standards, financial, legal and human resource requirements
- Ensure outcomes-based program management through effective data tracking, rigorous evaluation, and internal/external reporting of results
Financial and Marketing Support:
- Work with the Epic financial and marketing team to prepare and manage annual operating and capital budgets in conjunction with partners
- Assist with finances of soil program including budgeting, business planning, investment activities, and data management
- Manage operations in accordance with a defined budget
- Contribute to product development research and implementation and marketing for soil products
Desired Experience, Candidate Characteristics and Skills
- Aptitude for developing a positive, productive work culture and constructively collaborating with staff or partners to drive the mission
- Experience in strategic planning and implementation of solid waste soil programs
- Organized, creative and solution oriented
- Passionate and articulate in disseminating knowledge on the benefits of water treatment and solid waste to soil conversion
- Ability to work with a high degree of independence and autonomy
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Knowledge of soil planning and system implementation
- Understanding of soil equipment, technologies and limitations and their effect on safety, quality, and productivity
- Working knowledge of enterprise / manufacturing resource planning systems
- Working knowledge of quality assurance and good manufacturing practices
- Coursework or direct work experience is preferred but not required in the following areas: soil science, waste management, chemistry, program management, environmental science, operations
- Flexibility and reliable transportation to travel for the job and valid driver’s license
Company Culture Epic is a mission-driven team focused on solving one of the great challenges of our time – the sustainable management of water. The world is urbanizing, with 70% of the world will likely live in cities by 2050, and the conventional approach to infrastructure is strained to the breaking point. We are committed to transforming the water and wastewater paradigm by creating the sustainable, resilient, and water-secure cities of the future.
Apply Please complete the application form and upload your resume and cover letter within the form. Please contact Lindsay (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions. Application form link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfnsNJKirGWd5hNFmvh-D__5WFM2pR-quzviIhkdjZ-NywMfg/viewform We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.