We are seeking 1 experienced farmer / culinary gardener for an immediate start date. You will own primary responsibility for all aspects of farm operations and be intimately involved in the execution of the farm plan: implementing the infrastructure plan, seasonal crop planning and implementation, cultivation, and land prep, seeding, transplanting, weed and pest management, harvesting and processing crops.
You will design and implement a seasonal crop rotation plan and compost plan, and later assist with a value-add farm product program for retail. You will work independently while collaborate with the owners to create and meet budgets, source materials, design and execute plans. You will maintain daily and weekly plan of farming activities. 2022 will be spent on quick crops, small CSA and chef orders, farm infrastructure update, longer-lead-time fruit trees, berry, and pumpkin patches, and program development for value-added retail and event space reopening – scheduled for fall 2022.
SKILLS SET: Work is 3/4-time, partly remote work (for data entry):
- At least 3 years farming / culinary gardener experience required
- Hospitality, culinary, apothecary, retail, design, entertainment, arts or education experience is a plus
- Familiarity with tools, implements, compost systems, refrigeration, water systems, greenhouses and knowledge of how to design, care for and fix them
- Passion for farming AND passion for education, hospitality, guest interaction, and creating memorable spaces and experiences
- Excellent work ethic and a desire to work outside in all weather conditions
- Ability to work independently and take initiative, see projects through to completion and keep open lines of communication with owners, problem solving, and thorough, detailed work is a must
- Ability to prepare written reports and plans
- Ability to look ahead and see the whole picture
- Positive and collaborative attitude
- Outstanding communication (oral and written) skills required for farm updates Knowledge of medicinal plants, flowers and value add production a plus
- Knowledge of composting systems knowledge a plus
- Knowledge of electronic farm record keeping systems a plus
SCHEDULE: Required at least 3 days a week on farm between Monday – Thursday, with 1 day work from home for record keeping and planning.
- Onsite hours will flex up in the growing season and down during holiday breaks.
- Onsite days and hours can be set by you within these constraints.
COMPENSATION: Pay ranges from $20-26/hr depending on skill set.
Open to licensed and insured farm / edible garden maintenance company / contractor in lieu of employee.