STRAW Restoration Technician We’re looking for an enthusiastic team member to assist in habitat restoration projects with Point Blue’s Students and Teachers Restoring A Watershed program.
The restoration technician will help in a primarily field-based role to facilitate student and staff planting days, lead work groups, organize logistics, and assist team members.
Core responsibilities of the position include:
● Implement restoration practices (such as planting, water irrigation, plant removal, seed collection) with Project Managers and Senior Project Managers.
● Train and lead students and adults during restoration and maintenance work days.
● Assist with native plant nursery operations.
● Motivated to become proficient in new skills (e.g. towing trailers, operating mechanical tools, plant and wildlife monitoring).
● Approach new and diverse perspectives with a strong sense of self-awareness.
● Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusivity, and the local community.
Qualifications & Requirements
● Valid US driver’s license (4 year minimum) with favorable driving history to drive company owned vehicles
● Approved background check and fingerprinting to work with students
● Minimum 2 years in school, work, or training related to:
○ natural resource management, habitat restoration, sciences, horticulture, biology, ecology, restoration, botany, agronomy, agriculture, wildlife management, small engine repair, mechanics, engineering, hydrology, irrigation, landscaping, traditional ecological knowledge or related work
● Capability to lift up to 40 pounds and complete strenuous physical tasks
● Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Google Suite, including spreadsheets, word processing, and email applications
Full Time: This is a 40 hour a week position, Monday-Friday. This position will start November 29th, and last through March 31st with the potential for indefinite employment.
Part-time: This position requires a minimum of 18 hours a week, divided between:
● Two hours of team meeting for logistics on Mondays
● Two full 8-hour days between a ~7 am to ~5 pm time frame, within Tuesday-Friday weekdays
Additionally, there will be periodic opportunities for additional hours based on the Restoration Technician and field work availability.
This position will start November 29th, and last through March 31st.
The applicant will need transportation to our headquarters in Petaluma. This position operates throughout the Bay Area in remote field locations with uneven terrain, limited vehicle access, limited cell phone reception, and sometimes in a solitary capacity.
Must be able to work in adverse weather conditions such as rain, heat, wind, and cold temperatures.
will range between $20-$25/hr, depending on previous experience.
Full time technicians receive health insurance, paid vacation, holidays, and sick leave with a 401k plan with employer match contribution after 500 hours of employment.
We prefer applicants to be vaccinated and may be required to wear masks regardless of status if working in close proximity to Point Blue staff, partners, supporters, and others. We require staff to follow current safety guidelines.
All Point Blue staff will do the same and ensure a safe working environment. The STRAW Program works with schools and complies with vaccination requirements. Hired applicants may be required to quarantine and have a negative COVID-19 test prior to start date.
How to Apply Application:
Submit resume and application via this form by Sunday, November 14th.
Paper are also available outside of the Point Blue offices, and we are able to accommodate sending a copy and receiving an application through postal mail or fax.
If you have any questions, please contact Leia Giambastiani at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1(707)781-2555 ext 363.
STRAW is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusivity in all aspects of programming and highly encourages racially marginalized individuals to apply for this position.
● Application Deadline - Sunday, November 14th
○ Submit resume and application via this form
● Interviews - Wednesday, November 17th - Thursday, November 18th
○ Thirty minute interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.
○ Interview questions will be shared beforehand.
● Notification of Status - Friday, November 19th
○ We are looking to hire for two full time positions and 1-2 part- time positions for a total of 2-4 people.
About Point Blue Point Blue Conservation Science (Point Blue, formerly PRBO), based in Petaluma, California, is a growing and internationally renowned nonprofit with over 160 staff and scientists. Founded in 1965 and working from California to Antarctica, we advance conservation of nature for wildlife and people through science, partnerships, and outreach.
Our scientists work closely with wildlife managers, private landowners, ranchers, farmers, other scientists, major conservation groups, and federal, state, and local government agencies. Our highest priority today is to increase the pace, scale, and impact of climate-smart conservation.
Learn more by exploring this site.
Point Blue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, disability status of an otherwise qualified individual, membership or application for membership in uniformed service, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law and will make reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities to complete the application and/or participate in the interview process