Cascadian Farm® is one of the country's leading organic food brands. The story of Cascadian Farm begins over 40 years ago on a little stretch of land next to the Skagit River in the Cascade Mountains of Washington. Today Cascadian Farm has grown far beyond our original farm. Acquired by General Mills in 2000, Cascadian Farm sells cereals, bars, frozen fruits and vegetables, spreads, and juices.
At the heart of our brand is our 28-acre organic Home Farm. The Farm exists to advance organic and regenerative farming systems through demonstrating, educating, and advocating for a food and farming system that protects and conserves natural resources and encourages healthy communities. We grow eleven acres of blueberries, one acre each of strawberries, raspberries, sweet corn, and pumpkins, as well as some hardy kiwis, and greenhouse peppers and tomatoes. Located 40 miles East of I-5 on the North Cascades Highway, the Farm receives approximately 80 inches of rain a year with temperatures ranging from 25 – 50° F in the winter and 50 – 90° F in the summer. Crops are sold directly to the public through our seasonal farm stand and U-pick. Blueberries are also machine harvested and delivered to a local processor.
The Farmer is responsible for overseeing all aspects of production, developing and executing long-term farming strategy, serving as our organic expert, and providing education to farm visitors. The Farmer provides strategic leadership for the seasonal farm staff and maintains a safe, clean, and organized environment for staff and customers. The Farmer works with the Site Director on education and outreach as well as identifying and implementing opportunities to serve the organic community on a local, regional, and national level.
• Reports to Home Farm Site Director
• Location: Rockport, WA
• Travel: Limited
• Weekend & extended hours required during growing season
Major Job Responsibilities
Farm Production (80%)
Responsible for farm operations including yield, production schedules, equipment, and employee supervision.
o Develop and lead execution of long-term strategy for farming operations
o Recruit, hire, and directly manage seasonal field staff
o Perform basic maintenance and improvements on farm infrastructure, facilities, and equipment
o Ensure necessary supplies and parts are available for farm production and equipment repair
o Operate equipment including berry harvester, tractors, and tractor implements
o Manage and oversee all irrigation needs and repairs
o Maintain records related to production and compliance with organic certification and food safety regulations
o Maintain a safe, clean, and well organized work environment for staff and customers
o Ensure compliance with safety regulations and actively lead in the Farm’s safety program
o Assist field crew in planting, weeding, pruning, and harvesting crops and fill in as needed
Support overall operations as a member of the farm leadership team through active participation in meetings, progress reports, collaboration, and proactive communication with the team.
o Contribute to the farm business planning by providing expertise on farm enterprises including cropping systems, varieties, volumes, inputs, and capital investments
o Facilitate a respectful, communicative, and team-oriented work environment
o Work with the farm leadership team to ensure farm goals are met
Responsible for maintaining organic integrity on the farm.
o Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal regulations (including, but not limited to, Good Agricultural Practices, Washington State Department of Agriculture, and USDA National Organic Program)
o Holistically manage soil fertility (cover cropping, crop rotation, and compost program), nutrient cycling, promote biodiversity, and weed, pest, and disease management
o Maintain technical expertise in organic and regenerative farming practices and issues by keeping up with the latest scientific research and attending relevant farm conferences
Research, Interpretation, Education, and Outreach (20%)
In partnership with the General Mills’ agronomy team, develop relationships with Universities, seed companies, and others to partner in research and field trials
• Work with the Site Director to provide tours and organic farming education to visitors and brand customers
• Assist with the development of organic education resources for staff and visitors
• Contribute content to social media, website, and blog
• Support and represent organic farming with industry and partners in the organic community
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree preferred with emphasis in organic or sustainable agriculture desired.
• At least two years of management level experience required (managing production schedule, managing staff, purchasing farm inputs, overseeing soil fertility, developing long-term strategy, sales and marketing).
• Demonstrated experience with operating and maintaining machinery (berry harvester, tractor, tractor implements) and ability to make minor repairs to farm tools, equipment, and farm infrastructure.
• Experience in organic agricultural practices with a working knowledge of plant health, fertility management, pest and disease management, weed suppression, and greenhouse management.
• Knowledge of current organic research and emerging trends in organic farming systems.
• Creative thinker and problem solver with the ability to innovate.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Willingness to participate in videos and social media to promote the farm, organic agriculture, and the brand.
• Must be able to comfortably lift 50lbs and perform work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
• Conversational Spanish is required.
• Passion and enthusiasm for organic farming and stewardship of natural resources
• Energizes & develops people
• Delivers outstanding results
• Willingness to be flexible and adapt to changing job requirements and priorities
• Highly motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and under time constraints
• Team player with positive attitude
•Ability to work with multiple, diverse stakeholders
This is a full-time, year-round position offering a competitive salary and generous benefits package which includes Medical, Dental and Vision coverage, 15 days Paid Vacation, as well as generous 401K match.
Please include a Cover Letter and Resume when applying for this position. Visit our General Mills Careers website to apply for the position: http://tinyurl.com/CascadianFarmer
Information about the farm is available at: http://www.cascadianfarm.com/our-farm/the-farm
To learn more about General Mills effort in the Natural and Organic Space and the Global Responsibility Report, please click the links below.