Organizational Overview: CCOF advances organic agriculture for a healthy world. We advocate on behalf of our members for organic policies, support the growth of organic through education and grants, and provide organic certification that is personal and accessible.
CCOF is a nonprofit organization governed by the people who grow and make our food. Founded in California more than 40 years ago, today our roots span the breadth of North America, and our presence is internationally recognized. We are supported by an organic family of farmers, ranchers, processors, retailers, consumers, and policymakers. Together, we work to realize a future where organic is the norm.
CCOF’s home office is in Santa Cruz, California, and we have a growing family of staff located around North America.
Position Summary: CCOF is seeking an ambitious business-focused Chief Business Officer (CBO) to join our executive leadership team. We are seeking someone to bring fresh perspective and help us embrace big ideas. The CBO will help us protect, steward, and grow the economic health of our organization by leading our business development strategies, including oversight of Finance, Sales & Marketing, and Information Technology. As a key member of the Executive Team, the CBO leads all infrastructure and services that the support the success of CCOF’s diverse services and programs, including collaborating closely with the CEO, Chief Certification Officer and Foundation Director on their budgets, staff retention and recruitment strategies, technological tools, and communication strategies. The right candidate will have a high level of integrity and a deep passion for our mission to advance organic agriculture for a healthy world. The CBO must excel in complex project management, vision development, and clear communication.
The right candidate will share our commitment to equity and inclusivity. This is a full-time, exempt position that reports to the CEO. Remote candidates may be considered if they have demonstrated an understanding of organic food, agricultural systems and CCOF, as well as experience working remotely with in-office teams.
- Support and collaborate with the executives of CCOF’s three legal entities — CCOF, Inc.; CCOF Certification Services, LLC; and the CCOF Foundation.
- Lead legal, financial, and logistical requirements for each CCOF entity.
- Lead annual cross-organizational workplan and budget development.
- Lead business development strategies across the organization.
- Lead data reporting, KPIs, and other metrics to support CCOF’s Vision 2026.
- Lead reporting to governance finance, personnel, and other committees as assigned.
- Support and supervise the Director of Technology on the management of CCOF’s technology infrastructure and data management systems.
- Support and supervise the Finance Director on the management of CCOF’s budgets, reserve accounts, retirement plans, banking institutions, internal controls, and reporting to CCOF governance.
- Support and supervise the Director of Marketing & Sales on the management of sales, marketing, and communication strategies.
- Alongside Chief Certification Officer, represent unique needs of our certification staff and services on the CCOF Executive Team by engaging in key certification meetings and developing an intimate knowledge of the operational needs for our certification services.
- Work with the Executive Team and Director of People Services to promote equity internally and in CCOF’s programs and services.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree or certificate in business administration or a related field preferred
- Experience managing organizational budgets over $10 million
- Direct experience in finances, marketing, sales, and information technology
- Experience in organic food systems or certification services strongly preferred
- Experience leading complex teams and projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly competent in Excel, data reporting, and data analysis tools
- Skilled at building collective vision and complex project management
- Experience in reporting to governance bodies
- Commitment to collaboration, integrity, and transparency
- A demonstrated commitment to building and supporting diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environments
- Passion for CCOF’s mission
The CBO’s starting compensation will depend on qualifications and experience. The estimated starting annual salary range for this position is $130,000 - $150,000. CCOF takes pride in offering excellent benefits.
Hiring Process: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Interested applicants, please submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “CBO” in the subject line:
- Cover letter summarizing your interest in CCOF and the position, and qualifications
- Current resume
- List of three professional references (References contacted for finalist only; candidates will be notified before references contacted.)
Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.
CCOF is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people with diverse backgrounds and experience to apply.