Natural Disaster & Crisis Resources

Esta página también está disponible en español

Funding Resources for Farmers Recovering from Disaster

Several federal and state programs and foundations provide financial support for farmers impacted by or recovering from disaster.

Federal Resources for Producers:

  • USDA's Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP)
    NAP provides financial assistance to producers of non-insurable crops when low yields, loss of inventory, or prevented planting occur due to natural disasters. 
  • USDA's Emergency Conservation Program (ECP)
    The ECP helps farmers and ranchers repair damage to farmlands caused by natural disasters and put in place methods for water conservation during severe drought. The ECP does this by giving ranchers and farmers funding and assistance to repair the damaged farmland or to install methods for water conservation.
  • USDA Disaster Assistance Programs
    USDA offers a variety of programs and services to help communities, farmers, ranchers, and businesses that have been hard hit by Hurricanes and other natural disaster events.
  • USDA Storm Resources
    USDA is prepared to provide food, emergency housing, community, as well as farmer and rancher assistance to individuals and small businesses affected by severe storms and flooding. USDA continues to work with states affected by severe storms and flooding regarding requests for various assistance, waivers, and flexibilities in administering federal nutrition assistance programs.
  • USDA's Disaster Debt Set-Aside Program
    When FSA borrowers located in designated disaster areas or contiguous (adjoining) counties are unable to make their scheduled payments on any FSA debt, FSA is authorized to consider set-aside of some payments to allow the operation to continue.

Federal Resources for Individuals, Businesses, and Households:

  • The Individuals and Households Program (IHP)
    The IHP provides financial help or direct services to those who have necessary expenses and serious needs if they are unable to meet the needs through other means.
  • Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA)
    The DUA program provides unemployment benefits to individuals who have become unemployed as a direct result of a Presidentially declared major disaster.
  • U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)
    SBA provides low-interest disaster loans to businesses of all sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners, and renters. SBA disaster loans can be used to repair or replace the following items damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster: real estate, personal property, machinery and equipment, and inventory and business assets.

State-Specific Programs:

  • Colorado:
  • Texas:
    • Texas Farm Bureau
    • Texas FFA Disaster Relief
    • The Star Fund (State of Texas Agriculture Relief Fund) was created solely with monetary donations from private individuals and companies. STAR Fund money may be used to assist farmers and ranchers in rebuilding fences, restoring operations and paying for other agricultural disaster relief. If you’d like to help folks impacted by the wildfire, floods or tornadoes, consider making a donation to the State of Texas Agriculture Relief, or STAR Fund. 
  • Missouri:
    • The Missouri Agriculture Disaster Relief Fund was announced by the Missouri Department of Agriculture to help Missouri farmers recover from severe storms, floods, and tornadoes that impact thousands of families and businesses each year. The Missouri Agriculture Disaster Relief Fund will address the immediate needs of farm families, extend grants to non-profit organizations for infrastructure repair and clean-up, and help individuals or organizations with major disaster grants.

Foundation programs for disaster relief:

  • FarmAid Family Farm Disaster Fund 
    As farmers and ranchers pick up the pieces and work to rebuild in the wake of natural disasters like hurricanes, droughts, and wildfires, the financial, physical, and emotional weight of navigating recovery can be overwhelming. Farm Aid is here to help.

COVID-19 Resources:

Financial Assistance

Health and Safety

  • Housing for Agricultural Workers is a State of California program that offers temporary hotel housing to agricultural workers who need to isolate due to COVID-19. It is currently being offered in Fresno, Imperial, Kern, Kings, Madera, Monterey, Riverside, Sacramento, San Joaquin, San Luis Obispo, Stanislaus, Tulare, and Yolo counties.


Cal/OSHA Infection Prevention for Agricultural Employers and Employees
English | Español | 中文 (Chinese) | Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)

Food Safety




Family Farms:

Other Community Groups:

Government Guidance

U.S. Department of Agriculture:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):

Food and Drug Administration (FDA):