The Roadmap to an Organic California is a first-of-its kind research project that investigates how organic is a solution to California’s toughest challenges.
Evidence from over 300 scientific studies demonstrates that organic is key to solving today’s biggest threats, from climate change to economic and health inequities. The Roadmap to an Organic California: Policy Report guides policymakers through the next steps to use organic to sequester more carbon, stimulate local economies, and protect the health of all Californians. Partner with us as we develop organic as a tool to take on California’s toughest challenges.
Part One—Roadmap to an Organic California: Benefits Report
What does the science say about organic? The Benefits Report, published in 2019, is the most comprehensive and up-to-date review of the last thirty years of peer-reviewed science about organic food and farming.
- Economic Benefits—Studies show that the organic sector is growing, creates jobs, and revitalizes local communities.
- Environmental Benefits—The science is clear that organic farms sequester carbon, protect pollinators, keep water sources clean, and provide a multitude of other ecosystem services.
- Social Benefits—The evidence shows that organic farmers can nutritiously feed our communities while also keeping people safe from exposure to toxic pesticides.
Read the Benefits Report online.
Part Two—Roadmap to an Organic California: Policy Report
How can we use organic farming to solve today’s biggest challenges? The Policy Report, published in 2020, outlines the next steps to use organic to sequester more carbon, stimulate local economies, and protect the health of all Californians.
- Organic is a Solution to Climate Change—We can use the power of organic farms to build healthy soils that store carbon, reduce levels of CO2 in the atmosphere, and mitigate climate change. In fact, organic soils can store 14 times more carbon than conventional soils.
- Organic is a Solution to Economic Insecurity—By investing in organic farms, we also reinvest dollars within the community because organic businesses sell locally and create jobs. The organic market continues to outpace sales of all other food sectors, creating opportunities in urban and rural communities.
- Organic is a Solution to Health Inequities—Policies that support organic also support human health and clean water. Organic farms grow food without synthetic pesticides and fertilizers and high levels of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants make organic food a healthy choice.
Read the Policy Report online.
Partner with us as we develop organic as a tool to take on California’s toughest challenges!
CCOF listened to diverse stakeholders to create our bold vision for California’s future. Collaboration is vital to advancing our roadmap of change.
- We’d love to hear from you at firstname.lastname@example.org or (831) 346-6339
- Share information about the benefits of organic with this summary flyer
Thank You to Our Funders
The Roadmap to an Organic California is made possible through the support of CCOF Foundation donors and partner organizations. Special thanks to TomKat Ranch, 123 Farm, and Paicines Ranch for their generous support and for hosting our stakeholder events.